hachoir-core - Library for carving binary files
Hachoir is a Python library used to represent of a binary file as a tree of
Python objects. Each object has a type, a value, an address, etc. The goal is
to be able to know the meaning of each bit in a file.
Why using slow Python code instead of fast hardcoded C code? Hachoir has many
* Autofix: Hachoir is able to open invalid / truncated files
* Lazy: Open a file is very fast since no information is read from file,
data are read and/or computed when the user ask for it
* Types: Hachoir has many predefined field types (integer, bit, string, etc.)
and supports string with charset (ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, UTF-16, ...)
* Addresses and sizes are stored in bit, so flags are stored as classic fields
* Endian: You have to set endian once, and then number are converted in the
* Editor: Using Hachoir representation of data, you can edit, insert, remove
data and then save in a new file.